Learn how to register for self-assessment if you are not self-employed but required to file an income tax return.

In certain circumstances, you must register for a self-assessment at HMRC by 5th October if you need to send tax returns. Such as; If you are a director of the company, Landlord, High net worth income earner or full-time Employee having income above £100,000 or want to pay a high-income child benefit tax charge.

Our guide written in this article is for people who are not Self-Employed. If you are a Sole Trader or Proprietor of an individual-owned business, then you should read our different guide.

If you have never filed an online application before.

Register for a Self-Assessment by using Form SA1. You can follow two options:

  • Register for self-assessment online
  • Fill out, print, and mail the form

Register for Self-Assessment Online

Time needed: 30 minutes

How to register for Self-Assessment Tax Return online, If you’ve never filed an application.

  1. Register online to create a gateway user login.

    Follow the Form SA1 link and click on create a new account. After email verification and two-factor authentication, you will have to carry an identity check with personal security questions. Once the identity check is completed, you can proceed to the next step.

  2. Submit the SA1 application form online.

    On the dashboard, you can choose to add tax and then select self-assessment registration. You can also fill out the SA1 registration forms from your screen. The form can be filled out by you. You will need to check the box that applies to you and give the reason you are required to file an income tax return. Examples include directors, landlords, Expat employees with untaxed income, High net worth income, or disclosure of overseas income. Once the SA1 application is received, keep a copy of the screenprint. Once you have registered, your UTR (Unique Taxpayer Reference), will be sent to you by mail within 10 working days. If you are abroad, it may take up to 21 days.

  3. Login online to activate your UTR (Unique Taxpayer Reference).

    Once you’ve received your UTR number (Unique Taxpayer Reference). You can log in to your Personal tax account To activate your Self-Assessment. After you click on activate, you will receive an activation code by post that you need to use to activate your self-Assessment account.

Register using the paper form

You will have to first create your Personal tax account. Then Register for tax return (Self Assessment). You’ll need your Unique Taxpayer Reference ( UTR). To do this, click here.

Within 7 working days, you will receive an activation code for the new account via post. If you are abroad, it may take 21 days. To activate your Self Assessment, sign up once you have the code.

After activating your account, you can file tax returns anytime before the deadline.

If you don’t receive or lose your activation code, you can replace it.

If you have filed online before

You can simply Log in to an existing account.

Register if you are a Partnership business or partner of LLP.

If you are a partner in a partnership, register for tax return service (Self Assessment) before 5 October using the SA401 form.

You’ll need your partnership’s 10-digit UTR number (Unique Taxpayer Reference). You can get your UTR if you’ve lost it by clicking this link.

Register your partnership firm for the tax return

if you are the ‘nominated Partner’. You may require the assistance of our Accountant for Partnership or LLP to complete the application here.

There are many ways to register your partnership:

  • Limited Liability Partnership
  • Unincorporated Partnership under a deed
  • If a partner is not an individual – you may have to register a Company or Trust first.

You can find a details guide to registering a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP), Register a Company and Trust in a separate article.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *